Well its beginning to look like that time of year again on The Grand Strand. Old man Winter will be showing that ugly head before you know it. This time of year is a great time to get that house in order or get to some of those things you just
couldn’t find the time for this past Spring and Summer.
It makes plenty of sense that if your going to spend more time inside this time of year that you make your home an organized, clean, comfortable and energy efficient one.
Lets get started!
- Flip and or rotate mattresses and clean all bedding
- Get carpets professionally cleaned. Think of all that sand you have tracked in the house this past Summer
- Clean all those windows with microfiber clothes. Make sure to hit the sills as well
- Cleaning your house from top to bottom making sure you hit your most trafficked areas such as: Guest bath, guest bedrooms, dining room and entry ways
- Vacuum your drapes, window treatments, baseboards and make sure to hit all the corners. Move furniture and vacuum under and behind it. Vacuum upholstered furniture or get it professionally cleaned if needed.
- Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and vacuum the coils. For bottom-mounted coils use a long, narrow brush to clean of dust and debris
- Check chimney for damages
- Cover air-conditioning unit for protection
- Put away Summer items such as- tables, chairs, umbrellas and grills
- Apply treatment to your decks and railings as needed.
- Drain and store garden hoses and have your sprinkler systems winterized
- Check your utility room items like your washer machines hoses and your dryer vents for lint
- Install ceiling fans. These help with your heating costs
- Get yourself a hot water heater blanket if you do not have one
- Insulating and wrapping pipes
- Check your attics insulation and add more where nessessary
- Replace windows if you can afford to do so as this saves you a lot of energy costs
- Lastly, have an energy audit done. This will show you where energy is escaping your home and costing you money